homestead - Re: [Homestead] Trader Joe's

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Trader Joe's
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 20:19:12 -0500

On Jul 3, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Don Bowen wrote:

I see them as almost opposite. Aldi's being the ultimate in no frills
grocery shopping.
And Trader Joes has "upscale" products and store layout, with appropriate
pricing.

Trader Joe's is not all that expensive. They do cost more but not much
more.

I find various items actually lower priced than lower-quality offerings even at WalMart, for instance my favorite fair-trade organic French Roast coffee, which costs less than standard brands at Wally World. What Joe's has is an unusual selection of items that one can rarely get at most grocery stores. If you like nuts, for instance, you can choose between raw and roasted, unsalted and salted of many different kinds of nuts--a really big selection. Some items, like free- range chicken and wild-caught salmon, are otherwise only available at health-food or specialty stores.

Chris is flying in to St. Louis at the end of this month. I will drive up early and make substantial purchases at one of the two TJoe's in that city, the nearest such stores there are to Heartwood. That's four hours away. Now making a list. Another for instance: I have found no other source for what I consider high-quality commercial bakery bread products. They have sprouted wheat and multi-grain bagels of very high quality that I have found nowhere else. Organic peanut butter. Boysenberry jam. Vanana yogurt. The list grows.