homestead - Re: [Homestead] Happy Summer, Everybody! : )

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Happy Summer, Everybody! : )
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:03:01 -0400

You know what, it really was a blast. There were about 60-70 people, I'll bet. The place the dance was held is a local co-housing neighbourhood, the barn is part of the commons. The group hosting it was the local town historic/neighbourhood association. It's a weeny little town. All different people from the post man to the mayor kind of thing, lots of families. Local country band that painstakingly led people through the steps until everybody was having fun and not colliding into each other any more than they wanted too. It was pot luck and you made a donation to the band. Everything was yummy. I, no dummy, hit the desserts first. Homemade blueberry pie, angel food cake with ripe strawberries, all different kind of fruity quick breads, three different kinds of squidgy brownies (which are of course the only kind worth eating)...*sigh* *discrete little burp*

The dancing was a lot of fun, (the Virginia Reel! C'mon, I know everyone of you ladies had pictured yourself in your favourite fantasy dress and done a reel in your head, am I right? Please tell me I'm right.) There tended to be two groups, grown ups, and grown ups shepherding little kids, which made it hysterically fun to watch. Because Roy was shepherindg our little Taz, and Taz's friend Olga's Daddy was sheperding HER, at one point both Daddies ended up promenading each other. Let me tell you, there's a moment, watching your husband do-si-do with your friend's husband, two little kids in hand. Beautiful and funny, all in one.

And THEN, we came home, and got to watch out kid do sparklers on the front walk. She was fascinated, it's the first time I've ever let her hold them on her own. Making all kinds of designs in the air, rapt. It was literally a glowing moment. And THEN, because you have to have some spice to balance out the sweet, she took off into the grass to "watch the boy fireflies say "kiss me, kiss me".

And I think to myself...it's a wonderful world.