homestead - Re: [Homestead] Happy Summer, Everybody! : )

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Happy Summer, Everybody! : )
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 09:54:01 -0400

Yes, you've captured some of my memories in your words. It's an enthralling thing to watch. I've seen whole pods, riding the crest over and over, and you are right, they are having as much fun doing it as I am watching them. I wish I could fly with them in some way for even just a moment, but being able just to watch is a miracle of it's own. One time we were coming up the Intercoastal Waterway and in St. Catherine's Sound, a pod of dolphins came round the boat. If we clapped our hands and hung over the sides, they'd surface. Sometimes they'd leap, sometimes they'd come up under our hands. That was a gift. I've had manatees surface for a fresh water drink from the hose in a brackish harbour in St. Augustine, Fl. You aren't allowed to feed them but fresh water is ok if they ask for it...and they do! : )

Every summer for years and years we've gone camping at the National Park on Ocracoke Island during the month of June. Same 6-10 families who were all involved in my big kid's homeschooling co-op. It's a cheap and fabulous holiday. I think the camp sites cost me ten bucks a night, or something. You have to take a ferry over, it's an hour ride. You camp right on the beach, Ocracoke has no chain stores or restaurants, it's a local economy. It's like going back in time for a real seaside vacation. People ride bikes all over the island and the interior is filled with shady streets and the most amazing flowers. So much fun, I miss being able to go as much.