homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spider bite

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spider bite
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:58:42 -0800

Gene, as we become more "mature," the liklihood that you will have another reaction is quite high since your first reaction was relatively severe. I'd suggest you keep liquid Benedryl on hand. It works in half the time the pills do! Also, I'd have cotton balls and glycerine on hand. Soaking a cotton ball with glycerine and taping it on the bite will help keep the venom localized and will draw it out.

Also, *all* spiders have venom. Just most aren't known for viting humans. If the Daddy Longlegs and all those that look like them were to develop a mouth in proportion to their size, the human race would have been thinned out long ago! Brown recluse, Hobos and Black widows are no where near as venomous as the Daddy Longlegs!

Lynda, allergic to stings and bites
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Walked into a spider web yesterday. The spider expressed itself by
biting me on the top of the head where, alas, there is now little
protective covering. Discomfort in that area was followed pretty fast
with itching in the crook of the ams, then bumps there. First thought
was a hornet had been caught in the web and had stung me, later
decided it was the spider. When the hives started I at first wondered
if I had gotten bit in several places. Threw clothes into washer, took
a cold shower, still the itching increased, now widespread. Called The
Lady Who Removed The Tick From Gene's Navel, and she said get up here
immediately--can you drive. Yes.

She gave me Benedryl, mixed up some magic potion, applied it to the
top of my head and monitored me. Hives all over by then. She said
veins in my temples were inflamed and the spot on the top of the head
was large and red. Tightness in chest didn't much restrict breathing,
most likely just a stress symptom. This was a new condition for me.
Later took the time to research anaphylaxis. Sounds like future same
toxin might cause increased reaction.

Went to the scene of the crime. Found a small spider up in the remains
of the web. Collected same. Researched Missouri spiders but unable to
identify. Learned that many spiders classified as non-poisonous do
have venom.

I take the time to report this to say: 1) if you have never had an
allergic reaction doesn't mean you are immune, so be prepared; 2) such
reactions may increase in intensity with recurrent stings and bites;
3) pay attention to where you are putting your body. I had just walked
out that doorway a few moments before and had not noticed a web. When
I came back in I walked into it and she zapped me.

Yes, I will be buying some Benedryl.