homestead - Re: [Homestead] Spider bite

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Spider bite
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:10:44 -0500

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:55 PM, <paxamicus AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> We just had my 1 yo dog get into something that gave him a rash. Dosed
> him with dex and put him on benadryl and he's right as rain.

Now that you menttion dogs, I have a dog with a huge hot-spot type
patch between his shoulder blades that he can just barely reach to
scratch with his hind feet. Three, count 'em, days ago, he was blowing
his coat, and I was raking him every day so he didn't look totally
disreputable (and so the birds could get on with nest construction --
nearly every nest on this place has Anatolian undercoat from years
past), and there was not a blemish on his perfect incoming coat. And
then he developed the spot overnight. It started at about 2 inches in
diameter (this is from evening to first light the next morning). Now
it is larger. He feels so miserable that he ate only part of one of
the chicken backs I left him this morning, and when I came home he
refused to come out from under the porch (probably because I've
sprayed the spot with tamed iodine, which wasn't -- apparently --
quite tamed enough). At any rate, he did come out and show normal
energy levels later when I went out to do the chores. I gave him 125
mg of benadryl, which is what the vet recommended (1 mg/lb), and we
are going to see and be seen by the vet tomorrow.

A friend mentioned demodectic (sp?) mange, which I will presently
Google. If IIRC, it's a disease of adolescence that's hereditary so is
a reason not to breed, but that's not a problem, per se, as his nuts
are coming off as soon as he's 2 for other reasons.

Anyway, if anyone has a clue, I'm sure you'll let me know.

Marie