homestead - Re: [Homestead] Walnuts, living with

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Walnuts, living with
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:24:02 -0500

On Jun 8, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Lynda wrote:

Cutting the roots isn't going to help. The juglone leaches and can be found
15-20 feet past the root line and why they recommend that you don't plant
within 50-100' of a black walnut.

Thinking back on the various apple and tomato bad experiences I am now reevaluating, I think a hundred feet is likely minimum here with these big trees.

It takes years to clean up the soil. You'll need to lime it, add activated
charcoal, till and add in tons of compost.

In the meantime, corn, squash, beans, carrols and melons, as a general rule,
aren't terribly bothered by it.

Until I can get underground barriers in place I will be much more careful where I plant things. Two lists now being compiled.

Ironically, I should have planted cherries and apples in reversed locations.

I'm seeing some beautiful black walnut going into woodworking projects in
your future <g>

Could well be. I hate to cut these magnificent trees. I will likely keep the big one by the house--it's canopy shades most of the house until late morning.