homestead - [Homestead] Walnuts, living with

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Walnuts, living with
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 13:00:35 -0500

No wonder I have had such a tough time getting apples down there at the end of the garden. Just planted three replacements. Rats. Please ask your husband how the roots might be stopped. I can dig a bodacious trench that would slice off all walnut roots between the big black walnut and the trees and garden down there. But then how to stop them from extending once again? And, does anyone know how long the juglone in the roots remains potent?

This is a very large tree. If necessary, I see walnut boards curing for future furniture projects. I love big trees but I love my garden more.