homestead - Re: [Homestead] Walnuts, living with

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Walnuts, living with
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:17:18 -0500

On Jun 8, 2008, at 10:31 PM, Bunjov AT aol.com wrote:

This, on Google:

_Black Walnut Toxicity_
(http://www.wvu.edu/~Agexten/hortcult/fruits/blkwalnt.htm)

I've been looking for good sources; that appears to be quite good. Now trying to figure where to move apples to. My "clearing" here is surrounded by black walnuts. I have two neighbors that greedily collect the nuts. Years ago I left some squirrel-planted sprouts to grow, about a dozen of them are now big enough for small boards.

I now have even stronger motivation to build raised beds. To prevent root penetration I am musing about solid bottoms in the ferrocement beds. For drainage, horizontal weep holes just above path surface. That would also preclude moles.

A garden of really big containers. Who woulda thunk?