homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wind & solar power

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wind & solar power
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:09:21 -0400

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> On Jun 6, 2008, at 10:30 PM, SJC wrote:
>
> > Probably his most creative
> > item is a subterranean tube into the house for cooling, and that's not
> > going to be something everybody here could do.
>
> A word of caution: I have long considered doing this but have not thus
> far because I've not found that anyone has designed a way to keep
> undesirable molds and other bad stuff from growing inside such a tube.

> I still dream of such a system.

Here's an interesting system for you.
http://standeyo.com/News_Files/INFO_Files/How.To.Stay.Cool.in.Desert.html

Just yesterday I remembered, funny how memory works or doesn't, that my
Dad's cousin is a wind power person in Arizona. The way our family history
is (very long story short), my Grandpa Van Meter (now deceased) quit talking
to two of his brothers because they owed him money when he was not quite
40--thus we have a very large family that we don't know and only met a few
of by coincidence.

A dozen years or so ago I visited my Grandpa at the farm in IN and this man
was talking to him, a guy I'd never met. He was the son of one of his
brother's and the author of the post above. I began searching yesterday
after recalling that he knew something about wind power. I don't know him,
but technically he is family.

lkvp