homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wind & solar power

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wind & solar power
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 20:15:05 -0400

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> Wind power is cheaper than solar though with some of the same
> disadvantages.
> An issue of Home Power within the last year had a comparison article on
> home
> wind energy systems. They have had several articles on how to site wind
> towers, a much more critical issue that with panels.

I read that, as far as where to put your wind turbine. Wasn't sure that wind
power was less expensive.

> Cheapest by far is not using energy, then is hydro, followed by wind, and
> then solar.

As I look around, I'll admit to the world that we are power hogs (head hung
in shame). Between five of us living in the home, we have four computers we
operate daily (mine, husband's laptop, son's, and live-in client's), two
upright freezers in our basement in addition to the regular fridge/freezer
in the kitchen. We have a big fat carbon footprint that needs to be modified
in a hurry, particularly given the electric rate going up almost on par with
the price of gas.

We need to cut back and start living in a way that matches our beliefs. I
have a grand plan to empty one freezer by the end of summer and convert to
dehydrating fruit and veggies (along w/ canning). Small steps.

I thought wind power might be more reliable for our location than solar,
though we receive plenty of sun. Cost is also a factor.

lkvp