homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Wind & solar power, now cold box/cooling tube

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Wind & solar power, now cold box/cooling tube
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:00:28 -0500

On Jun 7, 2008, at 2:44 PM, Jerry B wrote:

I have always thought
that having the underground tubes large enough to provide cleaning
access was probably the solution to the mold problem. In the earth
sheltered house I am designing (and still hope to build after all these
years) I've included a long, earth-formed, arched tunnel around the
perimeter to serve this ventilation/heating/cooling function as well as
provide an emergency exit for each room.

Jerry, keep throwing fuel on my tunnel fire, please. I have long visualized a tunnel that would be used for movement to the shop in nasty weather, for a root cellar, for a wine cellar, for tornado shelter. It would also make running wires and pipes from one building to another a piece of cake. Magnolia can do the digging. Safe walls and roof seek inexpensive solution--my best so far is ferrocement, and that may in fact be the best possible.

I am presently designing a Bed House. Sweet Christina has sweetly requested a flush toilet. She shall have it, although only because she defers to my decision on ultimate treatment or lack thereof. The Bed House design has crawl space with a tunnel going through the middle, then to the porch, under the porch, around a corner and into the existing basement under the kitchen. Gonna be lots of fresh, cool air coming up into the house from that tunnel. The tunnel entrance faces east at the garden. I envision a cool, arched sitting place where to recover from heavy weeding.