homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Wind & solar power, now cold box/cooling tube

  • From: Jerry B <liberty AT kaballero.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Wind & solar power, now cold box/cooling tube
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:44:51 -0400

SJC wrote:
I will be looking at all this stuff in more detail in a few weeks when a much smaller bunch of us will be going over to roof and finish the shed. ...
Susan Jane,

Thanks for your reply, and I will be looking forward to the details. It would seem beneficial if this fellow had a website to disclose his ideas and results along with the YouTube video ... unless he is hoping to patent them. With the dire need we have now for such alternatives, slowing down their spread could be unfortunate.

Concerning cooling tubes, the success of one in Tidewater is good news to me since this is where our place is located. I have always thought that having the underground tubes large enough to provide cleaning access was probably the solution to the mold problem. In the earth sheltered house I am designing (and still hope to build after all these years) I've included a long, earth-formed, arched tunnel around the perimeter to serve this ventilation/heating/cooling function as well as provide an emergency exit for each room.
BTW, I have recently discovered the Google SketchUp 3-Dimension modeling program that is 'something else'. It is quite simple to learn using the great tutorial videos ... and free for the downloading. If anyone is dreaming about, planning or modeling anything, check it out. http://sketchup.google.com. I think it is incredible.

Jerry B
Jerry B wrote:
I very much would like to hear more about this 'cold box' in as much detail as you care to share. Jerry B