homestead - Re: [Homestead] Politics

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Politics
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:29:49 -0800

I found him quite interesting. As to balanced, how so?

Psych wise, I've often wondered if he wasn't bi-polar. The times I saw him he seemed either totally depressed or manically up.

He also seemed to be, hmmm, angsty? Sort of like a teenager desperately seeking an identity.

O.K., for all those folks that like to fling the word racist around, delete here. <g> I mean, cause I'm sure that's the first thing that will be thrown in my direction.

I grew up in the Bay Area with a whole bunch of black folks and a whole bunch of mixed race kids. I think both Malcolm X and Obama are sort of typical of those kids. They were desperately seeking identity. Never really felt comfortable in their own skin as they wanted really, really badly to be either white or black and not some of each. Most choose to become vehemently black. And then they waged a life long battle to prove just how black they were.

I'm not a fan of mixed marriages for this very reason. It's not about the parents, but rather, about the kids. Takes a special set of parents and the right place to grow up to come out of growing up mixed race all in one piece and without a ton of baggage.

I think Malcolm X tilted a whole bunch to the side of white men are evil because of this.

Although, towards the end and shortly before he was assissinated, I think he was beginning to see the light about the fault not lying all in one direction. I really think his pilgrimage did a lot to help him see the world in a more balanced way.

Am I clear as mud as usual <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

What's your sense of his balance?