homestead - Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?

  • From: Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:04:24 -0400

On May 15, 2008, at 2:29 PM, Gene GeRue wrote:
Roy, does your kitchen participation extend beyond build and repair?
Are you allowed--say, for sous chefing--to actually participate in
food preparation?

Oh yes. there are even times when I hold forth solo. But she spends more time by far at the kitchen "work".

If so, and if, as I suspect, you are substantially
taller than the Moon midget,

I am: about 5-11-1/2, and like you, gravity may have had it's sway.

consider a prep sink in a counter that is
of a height comfortable for you.

That makes sense! I was going to comment on the earlier post that talked about a single tub sink instead of the double one. BRAVO! I spend a lot of time moving things from one to the other just because whatever it is, or is about to get into, the sink won't fit. An abomination! From watching the home makeover and real estate shows, it appears that the double sink is "IN" nowadays. BULL POOP!

... made the counter top 38.5 inches tall.

Rex Roberts would have the sink user put his/her arms straight down with hands level (if you can do that) with a slight bend to the back. The hands are at the desired sink bottom level. I don't know if he had a method for counter tops, but the ones here are too high for Moon. Maybe an adjustable height try-out counter can be built for finding the right height.

Memory flash: I calculated for a one-and-a-half-inch plank floor over
the plywood. Somehow that never happened

Another good idea. I have a couple ideas of how to manage that.

Roy
(About to start a notes file.)

Roy Morgan
k1lky AT earthlink.net