homestead - Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 20:51:43 -0500

Once, I designed my ideal kitchen. I've never built it. But it
included the back side of a masonry wood burning stove that was to
heat the house, and in that was a wood fired oven (for breads, pizza,
etc.). It had a huge walk-in pantry. It had a greenhouse style window
for growing herbs. I would want lots of counter space, with a prep
island. Over the prep island would be a rack for hanging the pans and
some of my most used kitchen tools - this right across from the range.
Over to one side, out of the working space would be an eating area, as
the kitchen is always the gathering spot in the home, so there needs
to be plenty of space for people. I really, really, really like slide
out shelves in the cabinets, as it makes it so much easier to access
everything. There needs to be a handy compost bin near the food prep
area; easy to feed with scraps and easy to remove for taking to the
compost pile.

Enjoy designing it, and I hope you get to include some of your most
cherished elements!

Gloria