homestead - Re: [Homestead] Soy foods

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Soy foods
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 20:45:28 EDT

> The Asians eat more *fermented* soy, that's the healthier stuff to my
> understanding. That includes tempeh, tofu, miso and tamari (like soy sauce).

Miso, tamari, and the even more heavenly shoyu are fermented. I've never
heard of fermented tofu, certainly the stuff in the Mart isn't. Tempeh isn't
fermented, rather it's molded. Cooked soybeans (or other grains or peanuts)
are
innoculated with the spore of a certain mold and the white rhizomes knit the
whole mass together. It's quite easy to make providing you have an
incubation
chamber you can keep at 86 degrees for three days at a time.

Tofu is made by first making soy milk which is nothing more than cooking the
soybeans, griding them into a puree, and draining the liquid. The various
types of coagulant are used to precipitate out the solids, terra alba (aka
gypsum, aka calcium sulphate) gives a soft tofu and nagari (minerals left
when
seawater is evaporated and the salt is removed) gives the firmest. Epsom
salts,
vinegar, and various other things give different types of tofu. You also get
two neat byproducts, soy whey and okara (Japanese "honorable hulls"). Okara
is
a wonderful meat extender and soy whey adds a lot of vitamins, especially B
vitamins, to veggies when you cook them in it. Good soup base too.

</HTML>