homestead - Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 19:44:48 -0400

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Even though you might be up north a separate canning kitchen is
> probably a good idea. Anything you can do to keep heat out of the
> house in summer is a good thing. Here in Virginia, older houses had
> the kitchen as an "add on" room on the back of the house. It's one
> story with a separate roof so heat can disperse.
>
> The previous owner added a mudroom to the side of this 80 y.o. farm house,
when he did he took the stove out of the kitchen and moved it to the
mudroom. It's an odd set-up that receives lots of comments but it's nice in
winter as it helps heat the north-facing mudroom (w/ several single-paned
windows--he was a contractor who scavenged materials), and it's nice in
summer to keep the heat out of the kitchen. When I can I use the gas burners
on the oven in the mudroom.

It's also nice at Thanksgiving and other 'big meal' times because we
additionally have 4 gas burners (w/ griddle in middle) in the kitchen--just
no oven. We can make almost the whole big meal at once.

We intend to replace the single-pane windows w/in the next two years,
hopefully later this summer--perhaps w/ our U.S. Stimulus Check.

The thought of designing your own kitchen is an exciting one. I'm happy for
you, Celia.

Lisa