homestead - Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] the homestead kitchen-what would you design?
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:52:28 -0800

This place had maybe 6' of counter top when we moved in. It also had an absolutely useless breakfast area. We had an old solid wood cabinet that Son #1 gave me years ago that was the cabinet for the BIG fish tank. Well, the fish tank we gave away but the cabinet was a perfect fit for the area under the window that was supposed to be a breakfast "nook." DH made a butcher block top for the cabinet out of some hardrock maple. This makes the counter 6" shorter than "normal" counters and it is absolutely GREAT! This is where my KA permanently resides. It makes rolling out dough soooo nice.

He is also pulling out the dishwasher and adding more cupboards in that section. I have 3 ratan baskets that are going in one section for keeping potatoes, onions, etc. will be convenient.

All the lower cabinet shelving is gradually being replaced with pull out drawers.

The one thing on my wish list was a canning/summer kitchen and he is in the process of building that right now. The walls, roof and screens are up. Youngest and I laid lanolium tiles last week. Cabinets are going in later this week.

Oh, and the one thing I would do different is to put in a single sink instead of a double. If I find one on freecycle or cheap on Craig's List, this new double sink is going bye bye!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I am designing and redesigning ideas in my head for my new kitchen.
It's basically just a few cabinets attached to one wall and the oven
plugged in right next to the sink, right now. It wouldn't even take a
sledge hammer to take it all apart, it's all so temporary-looking.

If you were going to design a kitchen, what things would you include?

My Dad always said he'd build in two dishwashers and no dish
cupboards...he'd just rotate dishwashers. This is the same man who
made a recyclables chute out of pvc pipe in the middle of his kitchen
to the bin in the mud room in the basement underneath. : )

One thing I really want is a big old pantry, which I think I can get
out of this space. Also, I am short so I am thinking about making the
work surfaces lower. I'm also thinking about no upper cabinet space at
all, just windows all the way around wherever I can get them and a lot
of under surface storage space. I want a roll away top, too, so I can
leave the small appliances I use all the time out on the surface, but
I can put them "away" without having to heft them all the time. My
Kitchen Aid gets a lot of good use.

I am also going to ask Roy to wire the place for sound.

Whoo! I would like "warming rack" somewhere, a warm place to let bread
rise, etc. I have marble countertops in this kitchen and they suck the
life right out of any yeast I put to rise because they are so cold. I
end up letting things rise in the dryer, it's just a question of time
till my 15 yo "bakes" a loaf of bread in the tumble dryer. I think I'd
like one marble/granite work surface for non-yeast baking and the ease
of handling hot stuff.

These are two small pics of the current kitchen space.

http://www.hopefieldfarm.com/freeimages/newhouse/housepics/housepics/126102_9.jpg
http://www.hopefieldfarm.com/freeimages/newhouse/housepics/housepics/126102_8.jpg

I have been amusing myself looking at used appliances/restaurant
supply on the net. I've been looking at dual fuel ovens, very spendy!