homestead - Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Meatless recipes, was Soy foods
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 21:07:45 EDT

> > I am interested in doing more meat-free and low-cost cooking and am open
> > ideas on a new thread or subject if you guys want to throw out some ideas
> or
> > your favorite cook book.

One thing I'd encourage the meatless cook to do is drop the idea of "meat
substitute", that is, trying to make nuts and beans into something that
resembles
meat. It's an insult to both cuisines.

If you make meatless burger patties, don't view it as a hamburger substitute.
It isn't. Let it be its own food in its own right.

Any peasant ethnic food from around the world offers good examples. Tonight
we had bean tacos (beans, corn tortillas, onions, lettuce, sour cream, and
quesa blanca all from the homestead, yet another 100% homestead meal!)

When eggplants are in season, we have the middle eastern 'mezza' cuisine,
baba ganouj, falafel, humus, tabouli. We grow the eggplants and chickpeas
but
buy the sesame paste.

There's shepherd's pie, stir fies,. potato pancakes, mousaka, and a host of
other things that don't attempt to imitate meat and can be grown on the
homestead.

You can even go back in time and have a medieval meal of bread and sop.
Peas, lentils, or fava beans were cooked into thick gruel, a sop, and eaten
by
dipping pieces of bread into it. Hence the word 'supper'.

It's a mindset to think that meals need be complicated. Sometimes we have
suppers of bread and cheese, or cornbread and milk.

"Now in Wang Lung's country, if a man had a stalk of garlic and a good piece
of wheaten bread to wrap around it, he had a good meal and needed no other
..."
(from Pearl Buck's "The Good Earth")

James </HTML>