homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400

I find a LOT of Celtic influence in the South. Recall that Savannah has the second largest St. Patrick's Day parade in the US..

paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:
James, I find this perspective on slavery very interesting. I am particularly taken with this:

Southern culture was basically Celtic and northern culture was basically
Saxon. In the south the household was an extended family and all manner of folk
fell within that realm, share croppers, indentured, slaves, and relatives.
There was a moral obligation all around.

I feel like I grew up with this moral imperative. I find it fascinating that you attribute this to some kind of celtic tradition of community caretaking. I wonder if you think that might be different in other parts of the south, parts that weren't settled by Celts?

Celia