homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:22:44 EDT

> What I can say for Grant is that he and his
> family didn't have money, slaves, or practically anything else.

Incorrect, as it the rest of the info on Grant. In 1858 Grant was trying to
make a go as a farmer in St. Joseph Mo. and owned a slave named William Jones.

>Grant never owned or sold slaves.

Incorrect, see above. And no one has said he sold the slaves. The record
shows he attempted to sell the slaves. In the memoires of his wife, Julia,
she
says that the four slaves she held from her father were freed at the time of
the Emancipation Proclamation, there is no record of manumission.

When Grant attempted to sell two of them just after the war and before the
13th amendment went into effect, he could not prove that his father-in-law
had
ever transfered ownership to his wife and their status as slaves expired
before
he could establish it.

James </HTML>