homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ditch Lillies

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ditch Lillies
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 19:29:00 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:
On Apr 28, 2008, at 6:46 AM, Robert Walton wrote:

Keith posted a nice piece on lillies. I mostly like plants that
produce food. But every now and then, I think that it's important
for a homesteader to think about asthetics. Ditch lillies are a
great homestead plant.

Don't know if your ditch lillies and my daylillies are the same, but
daylilly bulbs/roots are edible. From survivaliq :
The young green leaves are edible raw or cooked. Tubers are also
edible raw or cooked. You can eat its flowers raw, but they taste
better cooked. You can also fry the flowers for storage.

So really, they are an even greater homestead plant.
There is a naturalized patch behind my house that is as large as my house.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky