homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:33:07 -0400

> That is practicality. Again, do you know if they felt it was morally
> wrong?

Slavery is morally wrong. Understand, at the time, it was considered
morally correct to enslave someone in order to "save them from their
heathen ways". Same thing that the Spanish did to the south and
central American Indians. We chose to eliminate most of our Indians.
Africans were enslaved.

Abolitionists who wrote the post War Between the States history
decided to put the morally wrong tag on white southerners, not just
slave owners. They also conveniently left out that their family's and
state's wealth was based on the slave trade. The victors of the war
wrote the history and forced it on the conquered.

I wonder if 150 years from now, people will look back on our society
and think that we were that barbaric and our morals so twisted.

Rob - Va