homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ditch Lillies

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ditch Lillies
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:40:59 -0500

On Apr 28, 2008, at 6:46 AM, Robert Walton wrote:

Keith posted a nice piece on lillies. I mostly like plants that
produce food. But every now and then, I think that it's important for
a homesteader to think about asthetics. Ditch lillies are a great
homestead plant.

I'm impressed. You both have now caused me to remember that east of here maybe a half hour there are some what I call tiger lilies growing along the road. Which would indicate either someone here came from your part of the country or perhaps had a relative who gave a gift of bulbs. Although these are far from any house.

The ubiquitous flowering plant in my immediate area are daffodils. In front of this old homesteader shack are the remainder of a row of daffodils that the woman of the house had planted just inside a picket fence keeping a small area in front of the house somewhat safe from the various animals running free. Near an old cabin up-hollow of which only the big stone chimney is still standing there are daffodils every year. They are almost indestructible. My ditching has rearranged them here in front of the house but they find their way back up to the sun each spring.