homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama and religion
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:32:58 -0400

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 5:14 PM, <DSanner106 AT aol.com> wrote:
> It didn't take much "uncovering" , these sermons are sold in the church
> gift
> shop as the "best of rev.Wright's
> sermons" One would think they are promoting these because they are examples
> of his sermons on a whole. That very fact is why I don't believe for a
> minute
> Obama sat there for 20 years and never heard any such talk from Rev Wright,
> as he has stated.

Somehow they found their way to the news and I can't ever remember
hearing snippets from sermons of a candidates pastor on the nightly
news. Funny also that the religious right has been sort of quiet on
this one. I know for a fact that preaching from the pulpit and damning
America is something that goes on there on a common basis.

I think that when Obama stated that he has not heard racist and
anti-American talk from Wright, he is not saying he did not hear these
sermons. The sermons just aren't what they are trying to make them. I
basically agree with them.

For instance, God damn America. If you listen to the entire paragraph,
not even the entire sermon, is comparing America to the Roman and
British Empire. He says that America will be damned for its behavior.

The chicken coming home to roost... he states that we gained this
country by terrorizing Indians, enslaving blacks, etc. When 911
happened, the "chickens came home to roost".

McCain's endorsee, Hagee believes that Hurricane Katrina was an act of
God, punishing New Orleans for "a level of sin that was offensive to
God."

Thank God for some semblance of separation of church and state in this
country.

Rob - Va