homestead - [Homestead] Obama and religion

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Obama and religion
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 08:25:47 -0500

On Apr 27, 2008, at 7:40 AM, EarthNSky wrote:

Oddly, there is something about the man that says "agnostic" to me.

Same for me. I think Wright's congregation gave him a spiritual home that he felt he lacked. He comes from a background of traditional religion (grandparents on mother's side), agnostic/open-minded on his mother's part, casual about religion on his father and step-father's side. Like many, I think he was caught in the "we've got the answers" charisma of Wright, maybe others.

I have a mother and good friends who are very religious and I have friends who are non-religious. I don't really care much about whether someone goes to a church or professes to believe this or that. I do care about how they treat people. Don't tell me; show me. Show what you believe by how you live and treat people and judge or not judge people.