homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lift not thy Hands

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lift not thy Hands
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:24:15 -0500

On Apr 26, 2008, at 1:04 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Can the prez reach into his
pocket and say, 'Here, I'll float you loan to tide you over in this.' ?? He
can't.

Now, James, you have to settle on this business of money. One post you are saying this above and most posts you are saying, hey, we'll just print more money.

Our entire culture is based on oil coming out of the ground to the tune
of 88 million barrels a day and rising. Can the prez arrange it so that more
oil will appear in the earth? He can't.

Of course not. But a new president might, if not well-connected to the oil business, just might get Congress to subsidize those who are making progress on alternative energy and conservation. He at least might have his mind open to that and maybe even use the bully pulpit to push for it.

The point many of us are making is that there are things afoot that are as
inevitable and immutable as the sun rising and the tide going out and there is
nothing any president can do about it.

I find very few things inevitable except laws of nature. Predictable, yes.

Any president is limited in what he can do. As the pain, and especially the fear rises, he will gain more power, just as Bush did at 9/11, though more gradually.