homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:02:18 -0400

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

> > > You're not 50 yet, are you?
> >
> > I'm 55.
>
> The sleep problem, however, will come. You'll just be able to nap when
> you need to.
>
> Plus, you aren't menopausal.

But Marie, he *is* James; the non-Melatonin-taking, scythe-swinging,
14-ton-lifting James.

Gene, did you get that hike in? Finished my paperwork. Good for a few more
weeks.

My turn today for some physical labor around this farm. There'll be no sleep
complaints tomorrow a.m.

James, btw, my Grandpa Van Meter was strong as an ox and worked like one
until he was 85. He was a farmer in southern IN his whole life. In his 86th
year he leased the farm and retired to take care of my Grandma. He passed on
at age 97 and five days, he was healthy and vital until his last year when
he finally felt 'tired' and deteriorated.

When my Dad was 51 he was assisting my 76 y.o. Grandpa to fell a few trees.
A limb sheered off one tree, spun, and struck my Dad across the chest which
knocked him to the ground. He cracked 7 ribs and punctured his lung. It was
my Grandpa who moved the limb, picked up my 190 lb. Dad and put him in the
front end loader and got him back to the house and to the hospital.

Lisa