homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pretty, and pretty scary, California map

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pretty, and pretty scary, California map
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:45:44 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:

I know it seems offensive to some that the government spends money on
science, but the USGS has been working on understanding, and
predicting, US geology for more than a hundred years.

And IMO, we should sink more money into the USGS. They are the ones who find the underground faults and resources, including water, fossil fuels, and things like uranium and radon. There is somewhat of a political war when it comes to California EQ funding..they have the EQ frequency so they want the majority of the funds, when places like WA, NY, IL, and MO have the greater risk and potential for loss..

Sure, quakes
happen in California, but I'm betting residents would really like to
have a better idea when they're about to occur. Major ones don't
happen all that often -- as Californians will assure you until _you_
fall asleep, they sleep through 'em. Over the years, I've read many
articles about how Californians aren't ready for a really big event.

I recall seeing interviews after the Northridge quake...people had no idea that a quake could be like that,,,and they had lived through others before. Each quake is different.

This is Earth. Shit happens. When it does, most of us do the best we can.

There ya go. I think the important thing is to THINK about how it will affect you and plan from there. I live in GA, but a huge CA EQ will affect me....economically..so I prepare.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky