homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pretty, and pretty scary, California map

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pretty, and pretty scary, California map
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:47:12 -0500

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
> It is simply amazing what the government will waste money on! My response
> to that is "no duh. Now someone tell me something I don't already know."
>
> We have a major quake about every 10 to 20 years and always have, so
> predicting one within 30 years is a no brainer.

I know it seems offensive to some that the government spends money on
science, but the USGS has been working on understanding, and
predicting, US geology for more than a hundred years. Sure, quakes
happen in California, but I'm betting residents would really like to
have a better idea when they're about to occur. Major ones don't
happen all that often -- as Californians will assure you until _you_
fall asleep, they sleep through 'em. Over the years, I've read many
articles about how Californians aren't ready for a really big event.
It's one thing to have the sorts that we've seen over the years, but
it's another to have a huge area -- and all its hospitals --
devastated.

This is Earth. Shit happens. When it does, most of us do the best we can.

Marie