homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pretty, and pretty scary, California map

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pretty, and pretty scary, California map
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:23:20 -0800

Northridge was different and is "special" in its own right. It had the highest acceleration rate ever recorded. It was the actual 6.7 that was the culprit in that instance.

I've slept through a 7.0 and was knocked off a sofa by a 5.7. The house I was in during the 5.7 actually sat on the fault line (Santa Rosa, 1969) and the 7.0 had an epicenter 12 miles away.

So Gene, you were what, 35 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge
quake and it almost threw you out of bed at a mag 6.7...can you imagine
a 7.7, something 10 times stronger and has 30 times more energy? What
about an 8.5 or 8.7? It is hard to think about, and hence people don't
and retreat to that place called "it won't happen to me". But you know
this.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky