homestead - Re: [Homestead] horses

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] horses
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:13:53 -0800

The "problem" with Arabs is that they are smarter than a lot of the people that buy them <g>

Our old Arab stallion (gorgeous Egytian/Polish cross) came to us about starved to death and trying to kill the two guys that delivered him. The old woman we got Mah-Riff from had been exceeding cruel to him and he HATED her. She got two breedings back to him for her mares as part of the sale. She'd come out to the ranch to see her mares and he delighted in scaring her about half to death. pesonally, I didn't mind in the least after the condition he was in when we got him (under 600 pounds). We turned him out with the mares and I'd whistle and he'd come running, see her and the ears would go flat back. She'd scream and run and he'd be totally tickled with himself, head up, tail flagged and prancing around the field. Then he'd come over to me for a head rub.

We sold a sweet little Polish/English cross mare to a woman with a really bad back injury which affected her balance. Kazma would walk on eggshells when Laura rode her. They looked like a couple of drunks because Kazzy would keep walking under Laura when she would loose her balance. They'd zigzag all over the place but Kazzy never lost her rider!

Lynda