homestead - Re: [Homestead] horses

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] horses
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:01:18 -0800

I owned two Quarter Horses (a TX mare and a stallion) and a mustang mare that single-footed. They were a joy to ride. In fact, the stallion, BC, was a sweet heart as well and is who we put visitors from the city on that had never ridden a horse in their lives. Of course, it didn't heart that he was totally voice trained and I could stand and holler directions at him because the greenhorns had made a total mess of things when they "told" him to do two things at once <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>

Warren,

I like the idea of your tacky horse. I have horses, too, and one of them I am going to be training to help me around my homestead. He is half Spotted Saddle horse and half Missouri Foxtrotter. These were bred years ago to be an all-around farm horse- they're sure footed and can travel the ozark hills easily and are gaited so will be very comfortable to ride for long hours. Mine is only 2 right now, so he's just getting started with learning, but I can't wait to use him to get up to my goldenseal and ginseng patches! I don't have marshes, but do have rocks and steep hills, so the breed I have is well-suited for the job at hand. Good luck with your work horse.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com
http://arseedswap.blogspot.com