homestead - Re: [Homestead] horses

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] horses
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:36:47 EDT

> I just wanted to caution you that as a
> rule, horses are herd creatures and don't do well on their own. It
> doesn't have to be another horse.

Important point. Our horse originally had only goats and he was fine herding
with them. Then he took up with the cows. Then we added the donkey and the
equines were the core herd. When we have another horse or horses on the
place, the donkey sulks as the odd man out. When we take Duke to do some
work and
the donkey is left behind, he trumpets like an air horn until reunited with
the horse.

The neighbors down the road have four horses on one side of the road, and
long horn cattle and one horse (a Friesian) on the other side of the the
road.
The Friesian spends his days with his head over the fence pining away to be
with the other horses. </HTML>