homestead - Re: [Homestead] horses

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] horses
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:22:08 -0400

Good Arabs are worth their weight in gold : ) My very first pony was a **Raffles grandson. He was also Maeve's first pony. : ) I had to put him down at the ripe old age of 30 when melanomas occluded his airway. He was a grey, you know how that is. I like the old Polish ones, not the Egyptian ones you see at shows these days.

Celia

Another small breed
that is handy and versatile is the Arabian. I once had a 7/8's Arabian mare
that I broke, and she turned out to be a wonderful, athletic, willing little
horse - able to anything I asked of her. I think I paid $200 for her (that
was after she cleared a barn of people when she threw a fit - she was a bit
wild and had been improperly handled as a filly when I got her).

But if you've a mind to save a rare breed, go for it. Just be sure to have
the horse vet checked and try to find out what problems exist in the
too-small gene pool remaining.

Gloria