homestead - Re: [Homestead] horses

  • From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] horses
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:21:55 -0400

> > Did you read the article I submitted about the small 800lb
> horses?
>
> Yes, I did. I've got some comments I'll make on the list, but mostly, if
> there are 150 of those horses remaining, don't hold your breath
> about getting
> hold of one any time soon, nor very cheaply. Rare livestock
> people are a bit
> crazy.

I sent the article to the list this morning hoping for some discussion, but
thought I'd sent that last email only to James. It's of no import really but
since James has been the only person in memory to post about working a horse
his opinion was the one I most valued. The list seemed otherwise engaged.
This response has been a pleasant surprise.

> > We will be moving back in time soon, to my ancestors 1825
> homeplace and the
> > remaining 10 acres left from hundreds. I'm thinking such an
> animal would be
> > a good companion while re-introducing myself to the land.
>

> I'll have some provisos and 'quid pro quo's about that. But at
> any rate, if
> you haven't read it, get hold of a copy of Gene Logsdon's "You
> Can Go Home
> Again" where he did much the same.

Because I thought that was offlist, and because we have had a few dialogues
before, I looked at what I wrote there as merely an introduction to the
subject of this house. The homeplace is right around the corner from my
present home. I'm not on a romantic quest nor are we rushing into this
blindly. Nevertheless, I'm willing to listen to most any quid pro quos from
the list as long as they don't involve Obama or McCain or Clinton or my
guns.

Thanks,
Warren