homestead - Re: [Homestead] Obama on trade policy

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Obama on trade policy
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 19:54:16 -0500

On Apr 14, 2008, at 7:44 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

I honestly do hope Obama or someone takes issue with China, but I worry
that he may not be tough enough to do it.

He is intelligent enough to understand the issues and talk about them persuasively. No president makes trade treaties on his own. Congress does that. It will be next year before we find out if the next president and the Congress intelligently address the many international trade issues, most especially China.

I am reminded of reading about the Tri-Lateral Commission in the seventies. Their reported premise then, and it is becoming more obvious to me now, is that the world will ever evolve to an equilibrium where wages in all countries are fairly equal. The discomfort here is already apparent. I don't know that there is an answer beyond vastly superior upper education and technological advances. Business as usual was yesterday.