homestead - Re: [Homestead] Railways...was The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Railways...was The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:53:32 -0700

Also, it is noteworthy that I never see railcars
full of grains or other goods, it's almost always cars or military
equipment.

Coal trains are an example of unit trains, a train of one cargo. It never needs broken up except for maintenance and it runs from source to destination then back. In the Midwest there are grain unit trains but mostly to move grain to the rivers for barge traffic and not as much of that. Every time you handle a load you incur costs so they want to minimize that as much as possible.

I like trains and have read the history. I also try to keep track of more recent trends.

Don Bowen KI6DIU