homestead - Re: [Homestead] Railways...was The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Railways...was The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:23:39 -0400

I know they don't carry as much freight as trucks, but we have a lot of rail traffic in these parts...We have multiple rail lines here.
http://wwwb.dot.ga.gov/dot/plan-prog/intermodal/Rail/Documents/PDF/Georgia_Rail_Map_plain.pdf

The first is the historic, now CSX line running north-south from Chattanooga to Atlanta..you know where the Great Chase occurred...and the second one transports coal over to the Plant Bowen (the Norfolk Southern line). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_Bowen_Coal
Multiple trainloads of coal go there every day.
There is another CSX line over in the eastern part of our county, but I cross the above two at least twice a day so I know about them.
It's kind of ironic that the fuel saving rail feeds the greenhouse gas monster(Plant Bowen). Also, it is noteworthy that I never see railcars full of grains or other goods, it's almost always cars or military equipment.

Bev

Lynda wrote:
Truckers currently have the biggest "voice" in Congress. The rail lines are far more efficient. We see that problem here in CA where massive quantities of produce *used* to be "trucked" by rail but are now clogging up the freeways and sucking down the fuel. Now the rail lines are either being torn up and turned into "urban paths" or left lying to rot.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

I've been saying for years that we shouldn't be tearing up rail lines, even as we've torn up thousands of miles. Durn, I was right. Durn, nobody cares.
Marie