homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:40:25 -0700

I've been saying for years that we shouldn't be tearing up rail
lines, even as we've torn up thousands of miles. Durn, I was right. Durn, nobody cares.
On a trip to Spokane Washington last year I noticed rail lines that were in place in the eighties are now torn up. Rail lines that used to be electrified and powered by the abundant hydro plants are now hiking trails, rails and bridges hauled away for scrap. One of the things we should be investing in now is repair of the rail lines. California is looking at a high speed train between San Francisco, LA and San Diego. It is mired in regional politics but I suspect that when they start wanting money the project will collapse. Then as oil becomes more and more expensive they will not be able to afford it.

One thing we are forgetting is that much of what we know is there because of cheap oil and any fixes are getting more expensive as oil gets more expensive. I also believe in peak oil. I have read and researched it and the signs are that we already hit peak a couple of years ago at 85 Mb a day. We are sailing blindly into the abyss and no one seems to want to mention it, least of all presidential candidates. They are too busy talking about today's problems.

Don Bowen KI6DIU