homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Frustration of Addressing Real Problems
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 00:04:34 -0500

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> On a trip to Spokane Washington last year I noticed rail lines that were in
> place in the eighties are now torn up. Rail lines that used to be
> electrified and powered by the abundant hydro plants are now hiking trails,
> rails and bridges hauled away for scrap.

I became totally aware of the demise of the railroads when the
companies started selling the right of ways (those that are not now
trails). Where I live, huge amounts of grain used to be hauled to
local elevators and then shipped by train to the river. Now, during
harvest, miles of trucks are in line at the river terminals.

Marie, who grew up 7 miles from the river and can still remember the
crack of ice breaking during the winter when the ice breaker went
through (not necessary these days)