homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bev -- incoming

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bev -- incoming
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 07:39:17 EDT

> That is interesting, in that our latitudes are almost the same. I
> would have expected very similar natural cycles. Google Earth shows
> that I am at 36.44N latitude and that the Skeen scoundrel skulks
> around at about 36.35

Jeanne is only a few miles south of here but I'm a bit higher in the
mountains. Because of the tall mountains and alluvial valleys around here,
there are
all sorts of micor-climates. Pears, peaches, and cherries are all in bloom
(time to treat for fire blight) but no dogwoods or apples yet.

Warming is early this year and it's high time for potaotoes. Here one plants
corn when the dogwood leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear, that is, not
yet. Peas are 10" tall and the spinach and kale will be big enough to eat
within days.

Bless the rains! But it won't be dry enough to plow for potatoes and corn
until all this drains away. Our local lake (South Holston) has recovered
about
half the water from low tide. Fishing is still lousy.

Still raining here, gentle rain and it looks like we might have gotten three
inches over the past two days.

And grass! Glorious grass!! We've not had new grass growth since last July.
Now we are awash in it, enough to seriously shop for the second cow. And of
course a second cow will mean more pigs!

The fundamental things appy. </HTML>