homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic--spring planting experiment

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic--spring planting experiment
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 06:41:16 -0500

On Apr 5, 2008, at 6:27 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Whatever type that Chinese garlic is (softneck and very white), it's a very
good type for the garden. Here it has risen to $2.88 a pound but that's still
a steal compared to "seed" garlic prices from the seedsmen.

Yes, indeed. I tried some garlic about five years ago that had impressive credentials and it seems to me I paid about five dollars per pound. I did not feel the taste justified the price. Perhaps my palate is dull.

Btw, I paid $4.27 per three-pound sleeve of this garlic in Phoenix. Brought four of them here. Will put more in the ground as soon as I get Magnolia operating and the stream crossing crossable.

Also when in a Mart or grocery store of 'tienda', look for Mexican garlilc
(called 'ajo'). Most of the time it's a purply hardneck type and makes
excellent green garlic.

I will indeed look for it.