homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bev -- incoming

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bev -- incoming
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:46:14 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Jeanne is only a few miles south of here but I'm a bit higher in the mountains. Because of the tall mountains and alluvial valleys around here, there are all sorts of micor-climates. Pears, peaches, and cherries are all in bloom (time to treat for fire blight) but no dogwoods or apples yet.

Pears and plums are all but done, but the apples haven't even started.

Warming is early this year and it's high time for potaotoes. Here one plants corn when the dogwood leaves are the size of a squirrel's ear, that is, not yet.

I've heard that saying here, too, but most still plant on Good Friday.

Peas are 10" tall and the spinach and kale will be big enough to eat
within days.

The best I can do is to enjoy the last pint of frozen bok choi from last year.

Still raining here, gentle rain and it looks like we might have gotten three inches over the past two days.

Yeah, that's about right for here, too. At least it washed a bit of pollen out of the air. I know it will only be worse in a day or so, but having one day of lesser allergy symptoms is nice.

And grass! Glorious grass!! We've not had new grass growth since last July. Now we are awash in it, enough to seriously shop for the second cow. And of course a second cow will mean more pigs!

I was noticing the same thing in my pasture. My friend wants to put her horses out there, but I told her "not now", that I hadn't seen such vigor in the pasture in about 5 years, and I wanted to enjoy the green for a bit longer. :)

If only the rains would continue throughout summer like this. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky