homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hops into action

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hops into action
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:37:11 -0700

On Mar 31, 2008, at 6:04 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

But don't even
mention making cheese to sell! "Sure, it'll be $90 a pound, take it or leave it!
I'm not going to this much trouble for anyone but my family!"

I relate to that. I once calculated how much I would have to charge for my pizzas. Who is going to pay thirty or forty bucks for a large pizza? And, no way am I going to make the effort for anyone but family and friends.

Like that, I can put away ten to a dozen pounds of hops without too much
trouble and have more than enough to match the barley patch. But the moment I try
to sack them up and sell them, even at the current very high prices, I'd be
lucky to get half of minimum wage.

I did a bit of research and it looks like the trellis and the harvest, as you said, are the challenges. Beautiful plant. I can see it providing summer shade for various veggies.