homestead - Re: [Homestead] Politics

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Politics
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 13:41:41 -0800

I would be willing to bet that Tiger Woods wouldn't be pleased with that <g> He's never played the race card or fed into any of the hype.

"The purpose of this statement is to explain my heritage for the benefit of members of the media who may be seeing me play for the first time. It is the final and only comment I will make regarding the issue.
My parents have taught me to always be proud of my ethnic background. Please rest assured that is, and always will be, the case - past, present, and future.

The media has portrayed me as African-America; sometimes, Asian. In fact, I am both.

Yes, I am the product of two great cultures, one African-American and the other Asian.

On my father's side, I am African-American. On my mother's side, I am Thai. Truthfully, I feel very fortunate, and EQUALLY PROUD, to be both African-American and Asian!

The critical and fundamental point is that ethnic background and/or composition should NOT make a difference. It does NOT make a difference to me. The bottom line is that I am an American...and proud of it!

That is who I am and what I am. Now, with your cooperation, I hope I can just be a golfer and a human being."

And on his website for his foundation he gets even more detailed and claims *all* of his ethnic background (African, Thai, Chinese, American Indian, and Dutch) which he calls Cablinasian.

And, again, he didn't have to overcome any economic adversity. His family is middle-class and he aced a full scholarship to Stanford. In the city he grew up in, I wouldn't bet on any ethnic adversity. The doors had been opened to "black" golfers by those who had come before him.

Other sports folks will have a long and difficult road to outdo what Tiger has done both in golf and as an athlete. At the rate he is going he will be the first BILLIONAIRE athelete. currect projections say he'll reach that level in 2010.

Will Obama become president? Possibly. After all, look what the sheople did in the last two elections -- religion and "he's someone you'd like to have a beer with" and then followed up with fearmongering and "you can't change horses in the middle of a stream (war)."

So, I am henceforth going to call this "The Tiger Effect"

Do they have an interesting background? Absolutely.
Have they overcome adversity, both ethnic and economic, and kicked open
barrier doors? Absolutely.
Are they good at their jobs-"slick"? You bet.
Are they the best that ever was, or at least better than all other
current players in the game? Only time will tell, but it's doubtful.
The sad thing about hype, or "the Tiger effect" is that no one can ever
live up to it, and they will surely disappoint.
That being said, I think the Senator from Illinois will be our next
President. I wonder if we are really ready for the change we seek.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky