homestead - Re: [Homestead] Moles

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Moles
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:05:26 -0700

Moles work
in darkness. I don't know if they feed more at night or daytime.

Okay, I looked for that info and found this very thorough article on moles:

http://extension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/wildlife/g09440.htm

They do in fact feed day and night.

Reading this article reminded me that in years past I have sometimes had a bit of luck by sticking a hose in a tunnel at a high point and letting the water run strong for an hour or so. Makes for an interesting irrigation, with water coming out of the ground at disparate spots.

I have wondered if we could kill them if we were to rig up a hose from an exhaust pipe and push carbon monoxide into the tunnel system. Might just cause the engine to stop, from the resistance.