homestead - Re: [Homestead] Moles

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Moles
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 09:50:58 -0700

On Feb 8, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Don Bowen KI6DIU wrote:

Does your chicken moat in any way discourage moles?

I don't recall any connection. It might have been the case, as I do not recall mole problems during the years I had the moat. During daylight hours when the hens are out there looking for groceries they will run and peck at anything that moves, including dirt. Moles work in darkness. I don't know if they feed more at night or daytime. Perhaps temperature affects them. Sunlight should not be a factor otherwise.

This last fall, as I finished the new garden watering system I was pestered by a mole digging through all the loose dirt I had created by ditching for the pipes. I chained a bent grader blade behind the garden tractor and pulled it up and down the main path to smooth it. A mole kept digging and re-digging his tunnel, making a ridge through the pathway, ruining my perfectionist work.

Of such experiences a life is made.