homestead - Re: [Homestead] Reusable canning lids

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Reusable canning lids
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:50:37 -0500

There is a plastic screw on lid that I use for mason jars. Not sure who makes them, but they come in handy after you have opened that jar of peppers and want to store it in the fridge. They aren't meant for process sealing, though. I think there are some brands of mayo with plastic lids that fit, too.

Bev

Marie McHarry wrote:

The only reusables that I can find are the glass lids, and they are no
longer recommended by the USDA because it's not easy to know if they
make a seal. The disposable metal lids give a nice resounding pop when
they seal. They can't be reused because after the first seal the
rubber is not likely to seal correctly, even if the lid isn't bent
from being opened. Those lids are fragile on purpose; you don't want
to be using them again unless you don't worry about dying from
botulism (or don't care about exploding jars on the shelf).

The other old reusable lid was the zinc screw-on lid with a glass
liner. I can't remember if a rubber gasket was used with those, but
that's moot because those aren't made any longer and the old ones
should not be used in canning.

Of course, you can always use really, really old methods like using
fat for sealing, but I have no experience with that.

Marie