homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:22:48 -0400

Lynda wrote:
What are they doing to reduce human consumption?

Great question..I'll try to answer as much as I know.

Are they requiring
low-flow shower heads, faucets, toilets and front-loading washers?

Hard to require things like that..who would enforce it..gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

Are they
requiring carwashes to recycle their water? Is there a moratorium on watering lawns, etc.?

We are in a statewide watering ban, and have been for some time. Fines are heavy in most places, and a lot of places have no warning tickets. In Douglas county, in western suburban Atlanta, there is no warning or fine..when you are caught, they simply turn your water off and lock out the meter. If you cut it, you are off to jail...

Here is a list of the state's level 4 exceptions and it answers some of your questions..
http://www.wsbtv.com/drought/14369378/detail.html

Are restaurants required to only serve water when
requested and to make other conservation adjustments?

yes.

What about
businesses? Is there a moratoreum on all new building?

Unfortunately, no...they are excepted.
I read an article the other day that said that people and businesses are starting to steal water..

I asked because during the last drought here, that is what was done. The construction industry had fits but oh well. Folks with current residences had priority when it came to water.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that irrigation of personal food gardens was on the list of exceptions.

I know washing your car or watering your lawn was a $1000/fine the first time and then jail time. All the car washes converted to those big water catching and recycling systems.

They are pretty common here, too.

And, if they are sending water elsewhere, is that elsewhere being required to make the same efforts at water use reduction?

Not sure..probably, as conditions are worse further south on the watershed.

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.